Home / Forums / Winter 2021 Equity Discussion Forum / Adding Equity Practices to our GED Classroom

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Charles Johnson

Within the Breaking Ground GED Program at Centro Romero, we have collaborated on choosing to add the 10-minute interview to the conferences we do with our students twice per 16-week semester. We have found that doing these 1-hour conferences boosts equity by letting our learners share their experiences with us while also us giving honest feedback and seeking solutions for things that are not operating at a rigorous level; for instance if a learner is not turning in assignments or is completing them at less than 80% proficiency. The 10-minute interview allows us to drill down even deeper on the learners’ particular experiences and self-determined solutions for any issues. Team-teaching allows us to have these conferences with nuance and different perspectives as well.

My colleague Debbie Kapustka will provide the same response as we collaborated on this assignment. Thank you! Charles

Tara Schwab

What a great opportunity for students and teachers! It truly is a blessing that you have the manpower that stems from your team teaching to be able to do this.

Amy Elston

I am encouraged to hear that you are implementing this into your program. I will be eager to learn how it changes instruction. I am curious, do have any specific ideas you plan to implement to change in instruction based on what you learn from the interviews?
    I look forward to hearing more and I am inspired to try this myself in my class.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
Reply To: Adding Equity Practices to our GED Classroom
Your information: