Home / Forums / Digital Classroom Ideas/Resources / Advice for the Overwhelmed

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Jenny Siegfried

Hi folks! For those who don’t know me, I’m a digital native. I don’t shy away from trying new technology in my ESL or HSE classes. But even I have been overwhelmed by the glut of resources and webinars coming through my inbox recently! I imagine that many of my colleagues out there are also feeling like they’re drowning in resources and “help.” How do you filter through it all?

The short answer is…I don’t. I’ve deleted almost every email, most without even looking at them. Why? Well, now is not the time to be overwhelmed. Endless lists of resources, no matter the source, aren’t helpful to me. I’m a kinesthetic learner; I need to play around with a new website or tool in order to see the possibilities for my own students. For that reason, I prefer webinars and workshops that focus on a deep dive into a small number of resources. The PDN has put out a couple of great ones (*ahem* if I do say so myself) that do exactly that. You can find the recordings under the “Resources” tab above. And I’m not going to go crazy, throwing every great learning resource at my students; that will just compound the overwhelmed feeling!

My advice? Attend one or two webinars. Pick one or two resources. Get to know that resource. Use it with your students. Get comfortable and build everyone’s confidence. When you’ve reached that point, THEN think about adding more.

There’s a lot of fear out there right now, but this doesn’t have to be a part of it. What advice do you all have for navigating the resources that are getting thrown at us from all over the place?

Amber Fornaciari

Thank you for this great advice Jenny! I feel similarly.

Tara Schwab

I agree, Jenny! I would have the same advice. We have to be comfortable with it to be able to help students with it and to be able to utilize the features in the best possible way.

Laura Sherwood

Great advice, Jenny! Keep it simple and remember that the students are dealing with this pandemic and sudden change in their lives, too. We do not need to overwhelm them with a lot of exciting technology and new things. Connecting with them is the most important right now. Take a look at this blog post by Susan Gaer: https://www.susangaer.com/susan-blog/2020/3/30/teaching-remotely.

And then treat yourself to some laughter with this video done by a teacher: https://youtu.be/CCe5PaeAeew

Anya Enright

Hello All!

First post here and thank you for having me!
    Agree with Jenny. My best example – recent ZOOM workshop on “Connecting Students …”. Great opportunity to learn the details on a particular platform.
    Being a great tech supporter overall, I felt overwhelmed when I opened my Inbox in the morning and was looking at the endless emails from the companies promoting their platforms.
    I decided to be strategic about it and choose what works for my students learning style and level and myself, of course. It reduced the anxiety.
    Another big thing that helped is tech sharing amongst the colleagues and getting the feedback on it.

We are living through a revolutionary time for the technologies and I can see how the share of it will be reconsidered.

Hope all keep healthy!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Reply To: Advice for the Overwhelmed
Your information: