Home / Forums / Winter 2021 Equity Discussion Forum / Citizenship Breakout Room Choices

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Cathy Kramer

To increase equity in the classroom, I wanted to provide more choices that were beneficial to my students. Breakout rooms have been a huge hit in my classes but I wanted to build on assigning students to breakout rooms without an assignment that came with my guidelines.

At the end of class, I offered four breakout room choices (sorry, I can’t post a photo here). Room One was Teacher Help to go over anything you didn’t understand in class. Room Two was Civics Questions. Students would work together on studying the questions needed to pass their citizenship interview. I provided a website, but it was up to them how they worked together. Room Three was for Mock Interviews. Again, I provided a link to mock interview questions but how they worked on it was up to them. Room Four was Group Study (study grammar, citizenship, homework, or whatever the group wanted.)

My goal was that students could come and go as they felt the content benefitted them. We did run into one problem. Without an updated Zoom account, students weren’t able to choose the room themselves. We will work on that this next week.

I chose last minute to not open up Teacher Help as I wanted to be able to move between rooms this first time. Most of the students went to Civics Questions with a few going to Mock Interviews. Afterwards, we discussed whether or not these choices were beneficial and if we should allow more time or rooms for the questions since the majority chose that room. After a lot of discussion, the students decided they wanted to keep all four options. They might choose Civics Questions most of the time (they loved the way they worked together without me!) but they liked knowing they had choices. If they were having a busy week, they might want to work in a group with others to complete homework. If they are struggling with classwork, they would like to know that is an option in smaller groups. I am excited to try this again next week and receive student feedback to see how we can improve on providing choices that benefit the student.

Cathy Kramer
    Erin Vobornik

Cathy,

This sounds like a fun way to do digital learning stations! I agree that the Teacher Help room would be challenging because it would require your presence.

Tara Schwab

Click here to see a visual of this great tool that Kathy has implemented for her students.

Thank you for sharing, Kathy. I think this is such a great way to give students choices, and it also prompts them to think about what it is they really need to help them be successful.

Amy Elston

Cathy,
    I think this is so great! I am anxious to hear how it goes next week? Do you think you could also create break-out groups based on student learning goals but guided by you? For example students may want to attend a certain group, but you see a need for them to practice or learn a different concept. How do you think you can encourage them practice something they need and still allow them to have choices? I ask because this is what I struggle with in my classroom.
    Thanks!

Yolanda Bennett

I think this a great way to use break out rooms. Students are now taking ownership of their learning. This is something that Iam willing to try too.

Cathy Kramer

I am using this weekly and LOVE it! Students are working hard together and making their breakout room choices work for the specific needs they have. This will be a regular in my classroom.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
Reply To: Citizenship Breakout Room Choices
Your information: