Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Sarah Hale

Teaching Adult Education has definitely been a learning experience. I am new to teaching Adult Education as is, and teaching during the past year has taught me a lot. Starting this school year off, I found that I was very concerned with how all of my students were doing and handling these times, not only as an adult learner but just in general. I wanted to make this year as hassle-free and doable as I could. I really tried to get to know my students and what makes them comfortable when learning and also what makes them uncomfortable in a classroom or learning environment. I was using UDL practices and had no idea it was even a thing. I have used the 10-Minute Interview since I started teaching Adult Education and this year, I have been doing 1:1 Zoom classes, which has truly helped me build a strong rapport with the majority of my students.

This course taught me a lot. Even though I was incorporating some UDL practices into my learning environment, there is so much more that I can be doing to ensure my students are learning in a fully equitable environment.

Rachael

I teach ESL, and rapport is absolutely essential to a classroom of language learners. If you don’t have their trust, they will never end up practicing the language confidently in the classroom, and that really hinders progress. Before knowing about UDL, I also took a course for ESL teachers where a lot of the methods are really similar. The student interview part is also pretty standard for ESL, since they’re all at different levels of communicating in the language in which the class is conducted.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
Reply To: Equity In Adult Ed
Your information: