Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Christayl Riley

I have been practicing equity in the classroom upon my arrival to my first day of class. I made clear the importance of eye contact and being fair to all students regardless of their cultural background. I work in corrections and this environment takes the right amount of understanding in dealing with people from backgrounds that are not highlighted on happy family programs and media. I came into the classroom with the understanding that I would have to take time to get to know my students and pay attention to them as a person and not just push instruction. I often ask my students if they had a good weekend or speak to them one on one when I notice that they may have things on their minds that are not educational based, but can create a barrier to their education. I like to tell my students that people are people and we all deserve an equal chance and respect. I practice this every day, because it is important to know where people come from in an effort to assist them to get to where they want to be in life. I have a no judgement policy in my class, and they all appreciate that.

Kimberly Wormsby

Promoting equity in the classroom is important in creating a safe and respectful learning environment. I currently teach adults from a variety of cultural backgrounds. I think one way to promote equity is to include materials that represent the different cultures we have in our country. This ways students can see themselves and learn about other cultures. Creating a positive atmosphere is important in also developing a community of learners in the classroom that can engage in discussions while learning to become more comfortable with each other as they share a learning journey together. It is important for students to learn from each other and share their own cultures.

Jody Dahlseng

IT is always a great refresher to read and review equitable classroom practices. The checklist will be a helpful tool as I begin this new classroom experience. Many of these practices come naturally, but many need some intentional thought and planning. Depending on the age of the students and their culture, many of these strategies will enhance the classroom environment as well as my relationship with each student. I also appreciate the emphasis on building a cohesive ‘team” feeling within the classroom. Great information.

Sarah Leinicke

I teach special education classes during the day and I realize that everyone learns at a different pace and each person in the same classroom might require something different to be able to succeed in the same subject or lesson. I address my students by their chosen names when they enter the classroom and I also make sure to check on them and ask how their night went or weekend. Treating everyone with dignity and respect no matter their background or abilities is key to everyone’s success. I understand that you must create rapport with your students and they need to feel seen and heard. We are all in it together and must work as a team to accomplish all of our goals. Equity is recognizing that each person has different circumstances and allocates the exact resources and opportunities needed to reach an equal outcome.

Amanda

I like to greet each student by name even if they arrive late to my online classes. I also like to frequently ask my students to share about their own experiences when we are talking about things that are common in the U.S. since my curriculum is often related to life in the U.S. I try to validate each students’ questions and comments giving wait time for students to answer and allowing them to contrast other students’ responses.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Reply To: Equity in the Classroom
Your information: