Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Erin Vobornik

My manufacturing bridge students are all intermediate ESL students as well. For the first part of their project, they must reflect on their learning preferences, personality, goals, and skills in relation to a career in manufacturing. Initially, I wrote this part of the project to be written in 3 paragraphs. After the equity training, I gave students the option to submit it in other formats (recorded as audio or video, written as a comic). My students all chose to complete it in writing, but they did seem interested in the other options. I will make sure to give them options for how to share the information they gather for the other parts of the project.

On the same idea of student choice, I gave students their homework in the form of a learning menu. I had different ways that they could practice the skills and grammar concept that we began in class. My students all chose different ways to practice based on their strengths and interests. I think that I’ll continue to give learning menus for homework so that students can customize their learning while still focusing on the same content as each other.

Amy Elston

Erin,
    I too love the idea of giving the students learning menus. I also encountered the issue of students not wanting to record answers but rather wanting to write them. I think once we do more of it students may choose to speak the answers instead. I plan to keep offering Flipgrid responses. This week I had two choose to use Flipgrid and with their permission I shared with the rest of the class. I hope to see this as encouraging for the others that may prefer to use video but are nervous.

Erin Vobornik

Amy,

It was certainly a new concept to them (making choices on what to complete), so I hope that the more I encourage them, the more willing they will be to explore the different options. I like you idea with Flipgrid!

Amy Keslinke

I love the learning menu idea. I might be emailing you for some more details. 🙂

Sarah Goldammer

Erin,

Love the choices for expression you provided to your manufacturing bridge students. Thanks for providing this choice as well as the learning menu options!

Since it is a bridge class, I wonder about talking to them about the workplace value of different types of expression? Of course, the written is important, and I like the choice you allowed them to make. Since you indicated they were interested in other means of expression but chose what was familiar to them, it might be fun to nudge them into trying some other options so they can experience the value of orally expressing themselves. I can see many reasons in the workplace that it would be helpful for our students to be able to express themselves to their supervisor about how a project went, potential problems they see that might arise, etc.

Thanks for providing options!

Yolanda Bennett

I like the idea of learning menus. This is will certainly work. I would love to see your examples.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Reply To: Learning Options
Your information: