Home / Forums / Remote Student Engagement & Retention Strategies / Let’s help one another! SHARE!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Ginger Harner

Hello, All! The Adult Ed Advisory Council is looking at Recruitment and Retention this year. In an effort to get some meaningful feedback on engaging our students during this unbelievable time, we wanted to create a way to share with you all. What is working at your program? What is definitely not working? In speaking with some of you, I know we are all experiencing some of the same things. Some students may have started strong with remote learning and then seemed to fall off the face of the earth. Some may have never connected at all despite countless attempts to reach out. Some may have totally surprised us and have done better at a distance than we ever thought possible. Since ICCB has given us the flexibility to try anything and everything that might work to keep our students engaged, let’s share!!! I look forward to hearing from you and can’t wait to see you all in person again!!

Susan

Hi!
    I’m sort of at a tangent to adult ed. I provide academic support in our Center for Academic Success. Pre-COVID that meant hanging out in a room with tables and 16 computers, where students could walk in to get things done and get help with whatever, but especially students in developmental math courses. I’ve developed specific strategies for helping students understand the content, become more independent learners, and succeed.
    Right now I have a zoom room and the four students who’ve made use of it have been grateful… but … what about my other 20+ regulars and the occasional dropins? We’ve sent emails and had student workers make calls…
    I think many of the issues are the same ones. How can we connect??

Melissa Koke

This is a very difficult time for all of us. If you aren’t able to connect with students, you will not be able to help students. You have to find out the best way to contact each student. Some people prefer email or texting, but others may prefer communication via Facebook, Instagram or Snapchat. We will make a change in our orientation and discuss the best way to connect with each student. The COVID-19 issue just came about and many of us weren’t able to connect with our students to come up with a plan. Many students don’t know how to use zoom or another platform and that complicates things for them. Many students may be experiencing depression and anxiety, since they are not able to do things that they can normally do. They are not alone and this has created anxiety and depression for a lot of people. High school students aren’t completing their assignments, college students aren’t completing their assignments and GED students aren’t completing their assignments. This issue is not just in Adult Education, but it is an issue that affects the entire education system.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
Reply To: Let’s help one another! SHARE!
Your information: