Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Warren Thomas

Hello,
    I made telephone calls, sent emails to my students. They responded with my request to use Zoom as a learning platform. I found that most of them did not have computers and used their telephones. However their phones did not have the capacity to view the lesson plans. I scanned the information and sent to teir emails, but they could not open them because they were .pdf files. Previously in class we used Essentialed.com and this was effective for 50% of the students. Eventually, 25% of the students complained that their screens were not big enough for the lessons. With everything going on these students stopped their logins. Eventually I recorded lessons on my phone and sent it to their emails, but no responses. I learned that many of the students were “telephonic-ally” proficient but computer illiterate. Their phone knowledge was proficient but not with a laptop or desk top system.

Melissa Koke

I can relate to this and I realize that our students struggle when they can’t do something on their phones. Most students are able to use the computers in the classroom, but they struggle with motivation. I have discovered that most of the students stopped doing their lessons because the motivation was gone. We serve as motivators and a lot of students need someone to help and guide them along the way. What changes will you make to instruction in the fall? This situation is forcing us to make some major changes in our program.

Anita Kerr

Perhaps one way we could alleviate this problem Warren outlines above is when we register/orient students for our next term, we make getting them signed up for a working email account one of the requirements. It could be an account with the institution where your program is housed or just a free gmail account. If every student is required to set up an account during orientation/registration, then teachers should be able to email PDFs, videos, and other items more easily. Also, on an iPhone, there are ways to view PDFs – when you open an email with a PDF attachment, you’ll be prompted to OPEN IN iBOOKS – this will work. Good luck to everyone as they continue to adapt!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
Reply To: Math, Science Language Arts
Your information: